TE RĀSTAND IN THE HEART OF THE DAY
Groups 15-50 POA
Today, join members of a Kaikōura Māori family and travel with them to many sites where you’ll be part of a real cultural exchange that is truly different and not for the masses. Right from the start you’ll be involved and whilst at various sites during the day you will:
- Be guided through the Pōwhiri (welcome ceremony) process.
- Get involved, learn a Māori song and greeting, and play traditional games.
- Stroll through native forest, discover trees that have stood for 500 years and find out medicinal uses of plants.
- Visit the foreshore to hear legends of Tangaroa, God of the Ocean and learn about Māori conservation initiatives.
- Gain an understanding of the modern-day world of your hosts as you hear how they adapted to colonization, and the role they play in the New Zealand economy.
- Stand on new land uplifted during a magnitude 7.8 earthquake and hear legends of Rūaumoko, the God of Earthquakes.
You can ask questions of your hosts and really get to know them – especially during the stop for a scrumptious lunch with local flavours – and at the end of the day you’ll realise you have a new whānau (family) in Kaikōura and won’t want to leave.
NB: Depending on weather and road conditions on the day, actual sites visited may vary.